- BHP Billiton(BHP) may need to offer cash for Rio Tinto Group(RTP) after its smaller rival rejected the largest ever takeover bid.
- Merck(MRK) may pay about $5 billion to settle claims it hid the health risks of its withdrawn Vioxx painkiller, three lawyers with direct knowledge of the accord said.
- China called on Iran to “positively respond” to international concerns it may be using its nuclear program to develop an atomic weapon.
- Nikon Corp., the world’s second-biggest maker of cameras aimed at professionals, climbed the most in almost five years after the company raised its full-year profit forecast and dividend.
- Julius Baer Holding,
Wall Street Journal:
- Chrysler LLC plans to offer rebates and incentives next month to reduce its inventory.
- If it feels like more and more Americans have extra money to spend, that's because they do. The percentage of
- Wall Street braces for higher tax rates. If lawmakers let capital gains and dividend rates move higher, selling pressure could pick up and buyers could get stingy. The leading Democratic candidates for president have said they’d favor higher investment taxes on upper-income taxpayers – and Wall Streeters don’t like it.
- Marvel recalling plush ‘Curious George’ dolls. About 175,000 plush dolls are being recalled for excessive levels of lead after the company re-tested its entire product line.
- Prince Alwaleed: Why Chuck had to go.
- NY Democratic Attorney General Andrew Cuomo was wrong to file subpoenas against Fannie Mae(FNM) and Feddie Mac(FRE) without consulting their federal regulator and may have overreached his authority, the regulator wrote in a letter Thursday.
- Economy faces risks, not recession: Bernanke.
- Citigroup Inc.(C) is being urged by some analysts and shareholders to beak off and sell its brokerage, investment banking and retail operations, citing analysts.
Late Buy/Sell Recommendations
- Reiterated Buy on (CELG), target $78.
- Reiterated Buy on (URBN), target $30.
Asian Indices are -.50% to +1.0% on average.
S&P 500 futures +.29%.
NASDAQ 100 futures +.40%.
US AM Market Call
NASDAQ 100 Pre-Market Indicator/Heat Map
Pre-market Stock Quote/Chart
Before the Bell CNBC Video(bottom right)
WSJ Intl Markets Performance
Top 25 Stories
Top 20 Business Stories
Today in IBD
Daily Stock Events
Rasmussen Business/Economy Polling
CNBC Guest Schedule
Earnings of Note
- None of note
8:30 am EST
- The Trade Deficit for September is estimated to widen to -$58.5 billion versus -$57.6 billion in August.
- The Import Price Index for October is estimated to rise 1.2% versus a 1.0% gain in September.
10:00 am EST
Other Potential Market Movers
- The (HNT) Investor Conference, (CTIC) analyst day, (GAS) Analyst Presentation and (FNM) Conference Call could also impact trading today.