- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday said his political enemies are trying to sabotage the economy by speculating on the stock market, foreign exchange rate and interest rates after failing to overthrow his administration in July. The lira plunged to record lows over the past week even as Erdogan urged Turks to convert their foreign currency savings into liras and gold while vowing to keep up his fight against high interest rates.
- Summers Slams Trump’s Carrier Move as Threat to Capitalism. Former U.S. Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers blasted Donald Trump’s deal with United Technologies Corp. to keep factory jobs in Indianapolis, labeling the president-elect’s intervention as a dangerous shift away from American capitalism. Summers, a Democrat who was Treasury chief under then-President Bill Clinton, argued that rich and successful countries have a strong foundation of rules-based capitalism. He said Trump skirted that tradition when he used a “combination of carrots and sticks” to prevent United Technologies from sending jobs at its Carrier plant to Mexico. He called that “an act of ad hoc deal capitalism.”
Wall Street Journal:
- Regulator Will Start Issuing Bank Charters for Fintech Firms. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency will allow upstarts to become ‘special purpose national banks’.
- Trump's Lead in PA Shrinks By 22,000 Votes As Stein Seeks Statewide Recount.
- The Shocking Truth About How Barack Obama Was Able To Prop Up The U.S. Economy.
- Ford CEO Expresses Interest In Working With Trump; Says Less Regulation Is Key To Saving U.S. Jobs.
- Michigan Recount Devolves Into Chaos As Multiple Federal Lawsuits Filed.
- Trump Risks Major Diplomatic Scandal With China Following Taiwan Phone Call.
- Buyers Remorse? Trump Supporter Was Foreclosed On By Treasury Pick Steve Mnuchin.
- Chinese Developers Rethink U.S. Real Estate Projects: "I See Danger...U.S. Real Estate Is Peaking".
- Trump Targets Second Indiana Company Planning To Outsource Jobs To Mexico.
- Jill Stein Raises Fundraising Goal Again To $9.5MM - Almost 4 Times Her Initial Target.
- This Is The "Most Dangerous Moment In Human History," Stephen Hawking Warns.
- The New American Dream - A Life In Hock.
- Michigan Rejects Trump's Objection - Recounts Are Cleared To Start Next Week.
- Sudden Scramble For Gold In China Sends Premiums To 3 Year High.
- Weekend Reading: Trumponomics.
- Tech, Small Caps Suffer Worst Week In 10 Months As Trump Hangover Hits.
- Sears(SHLD) is on the brink of catastrophe as stores closures loom and top execs flee the company.
- Bowe Bergdahl has asked Obama for a pardon before Trump takes office.
- Walmart's(WMT) new gas-and-grocery hybrids could become a major threat to Amazon and Kroger.
- CNN apologizes, disciplines producer after employee was caught on hot mic joking about Trump's plane crashing.