Monday, June 12, 2006

Stocks Lower into Final Hour on Hawkish Fed Comments and Ongoing Stock Options Concerns

BOTTOM LINE: I am now having trouble with my own internal systems, thus I was unable to post "Today's Headlines." Hopefully, I can have these problems fixed soon. The Portfolio is slightly lower into the final hour as losses in my Networking longs, Semi longs and Internet longs more than offset gains in my Energy-related shorts and Base Metal shorts. I added to my (EEM), (IWM) and (QQQQ) shorts and was stopped-out of an Internet long this morning, thus leaving the Portfolio 25% net long. The tone of the market is very negative as the advance/decline line is substantially lower, almost every sector is falling and volume is about average. Measures of investor anxiety are mixed. Today’s overall market action is bearish considering recent losses and relatively little new negative news. The Fed's Fisher just told reporters that the Fed does have "some angst" about inflation. This seems to be pressuring the broad market again. I expect FOMC members to continue talking hawkish through the next meeting. Thereafter, I expect their comments to become decidedly more dovish.
I expect stocks to trade mixed into the close as short-covering, bargain hunting and lower energy prices offsets economic worries.

No comments: