- The government of Afghanistan plans to build its first international railway, linking the former Taliban stronghold city of Kandahar in the south, to Pakistan.
- DaimlerChrysler AG said April sales of Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz vehicles rose 8.7%.
- Ford Motor said US sales of cars and trucks fell 1.5% in April.
- Nissan said US sales of cars and trucks soared 32%.
- Iran rejects US and European efforts to block its development of nuclear technology, and is determined to continue a uranium enrichment program.
- Crude oil is falling in NY on signs that US inventories rose last week as increased OPEC shipments arrived and refineries boosted gasoline production.
Wall Street Journal:
- US companies have been boosting training programs to address shortages in necessary skills among workers and a decline in skilled laborers.
- New scanners made by GE, Philips Electronics, Siemens and Toshiba may help physicians spot coronary artery disease better than traditional angiograms.
- Forstmann Little & Co., the buyout firm run by Theodore Forstmann, agreed to buy 24 Hour Fitness Worldwide, the world’s biggest closely held fitness center chain, for $1.6 billion.
- AIG’s accounting errors may have boosted the insurance company’s operating income figures in the five years by about 3.8%.
- US Congress is likely to pass a law requiring states to verify whether every driver’s license applicant is legally in the country in an effort to prevent terrorist attacks.
- Air Evac Lifeteam, Air Methods Corp. and Petroleum Helicopters Inc. are part of a growing industry of medical helicopters that are becoming routine forms of transportation at public expense.
- Campbell Soup Co. introduced its new line of Gold Label premium soups at a food show in Chicago.
- Massachusetts collected $2 billion in taxes in April, the biggest one-month take ever, and Governor Mitt Romney reacted with another call to trim taxes.
- BMW AG will halt production at its US plan in Spartanburg, South Carolina, for longer than usual during this year’s Christmas holiday period amid subdued demand for the X5 and Z4 models.