- VMware Inc.(VMW) shares soared as much as 91% in their first day of trading, giving the software market a bigger market value than Ford Motor(F).
- Mattel Inc.(MAT) is recalling Chinese-made products for the second time in two weeks on concerns that children will swallow magnets attached to the toys.
- NASA has revised climate data to show 1934 as the hottest
- Sentinel Management Group, the Illinois-based firm that manages $1.6 billion, said it asked regulators for permission to freeze client withdrawals because credit-market turmoil made it impossible to trade.
Wall Street Journal:
- BMW AG, Volkswagen AG and other European automakers are gearing up to expand production in the
- Many Facebook Inc. users are willing to give such personal information as phone numbers, home addresses and e-mail addresses to strangers, citing a study carried out by Sophos Plc, a computer-security firm.
- Verizon Wireless may be the main beneficiary of a FCC auction of airwaves spectrum early next year.
- A wave of investment in steel mills in the
- Small US investors who borrowed money, sold stocks short and took out complex options are finding that market volatility has undermined their investments. Many non-professional investors turned to foreign stocks and currencies, so-called “market neutral” funds, commodities futures and short-selling to avoid a possible market decline. Instead, they’re finding that many hedges aren’t working as expected.
- More than 100 communities across the US are trying to make neighborhoods safe, affordable and comfortable places to grow old.
- Google Inc.(GOOG) and Microsoft Corp.(MSFT) are developing plans to improve the