- Yahoo!’s share of Internet searches fell to 23.5% in July, while Google Inc.(GOOG) extended its lead of the market with more than half of US queries, a researcher said.
- Natural Gas in NY is plunging 13%, the most in four years, on forecasts Hurricane Dean will probably miss the oil and gas production regions of the
- Gasoline futures in NY are falling more than 4%, the most in two weeks.
- Lowe’s Cos.(LOW), the second-largest
- Yields on US Treasury bills are falling the most since 1983 on demand for liquid safe securities.
- Atticus Capital LLC, the activist hedge fund run by Timothy Barakett, increased its stake in credit card company MasterCard Inc.(MA) to 9% from about 4.7%, according to a regulatory filing.
- US Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson will meet with Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd tomorrow to discuss responses to “ongoing turmoil” in the markets.
- Lehman Brothers(LEH) raised its recommendation on global financial stocks to “overweight” from “neutral,” citing their underperformance and speculation the Fed will cut rates.
- Hedge funds and other investors that can bet on falling stocks are boosting the number of so-called short positions with ETFs. Investors in the
- Steel shipments in the
Wall Street Journal:
- FairTax.org, a
- Skilled professionals are finding demand for their services is increasing worldwide even as many countries have grown more reluctant to take in unskilled labor.
Chronicle of Higher Education:
- Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway(BRK/A) may find Countrywide Financial(CFC) an attractive acquisition target liquidity problems sent the largest US mortgage lender’s shares down 23% last week.
- French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde said the worst of the market declines stemming from the
- Memory Chip prices to skyrocket says chief.