Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Stocks Modestly Higher Heading into Final Hour, Led by Tech and Financials

BOTTOM LINE: The Portfolio is slightly higher mid-day on gains in my Computer longs, Software longs, Retail longs and Semi longs. I have not traded today, thus leaving the Portfolio 100% net long. The tone of the market is modestly negative as the advance/decline line is slightly lower, sector performance is mixed and volume is heavy. Measures of investor anxiety are mostly lower. Sirius Satellite (SIRI) is breaking down through its 200-day moving average on almost double its normal volume. I would not touch this stock on the long side as I believe they "top-ticked" Howard Stern. I think his pay package will weigh on the shares for years, likely leading to the company's demise as a serious threat to XM Satellite (XMSR). I expect US stocks to trade mixed-to-higher from current levels into the close on strength in the technology sector, a late-day reversal in energy prices and short-covering.

No comments: